Take Back Your Health: 5 Simple Steps to Improve Your Overall Wellbeing
Happy October, mamas! As I'm sure you have heard, October is Breast Cancer awareness month. This month we are focusing on taking back our health. Whether it's changing small everyday habits or setting new life goals, we are here for you, and we want to provide you with our insight and helpful ways to take back your health.
As busy mothers, we know sometimes it can be challenging to make huge changes when you are busy caring for your baby so, we thought it would be good for us as a community of mothers to take back our health with just 5 simple steps. Here are our 5 simple steps to improve our overall wellbeing.
1. Breast Checks - Breast checks are SO important! We advise self breast checks every few weeks as well as getting breast checks at your OBGYN every year. Click here for more info on how to do self breast checks.
2. Set your alarm 10 minutes before you actually need to be up - Starting your day with even a few extra minutes to spare can do wonders for the day ahead! Try to get up 10 minutes before you actually need to be up to avoid rushing; it'll change your mindset and mood for the entire day.
3. 5 minute breathing exercises - There are many different apps and programs for breathing exercises and meditations. We love the Calm App and Melissa Wood Health guided meditations. Try setting aside in 5 - 10 minutes a day for this and we promise you will see so many great benefits such as reduced stress and anxiety and mental clarity!
4. 30 minutes of movement - Whether it's going on a morning walk with your children, getting on your mat for a yoga flow, or getting in a Peleton ride, 30 minutes of movement a day can be a real game changer. If setting aside 30 minutes everyday feels like a stretch, start off with a few days a week and work your way up.
5. Schedule time to be alone or with your partner - It is so important to schedule time for yourself and time to be with your partner. We know when having young children around, it can be very difficult to do anything by yourself but try scheduling in 'you' time or time with your partner just like you'd schedule a Zoom meeting, and stick to it. It really works!
We understand that finding time for 'self-care' can be hard as busy mothers, but taking care of yourself is vital for your health and ultimately your children's health. You are doing your very best as a mother, take care of yourself and remember - self-care is not selfish!